idk, while Freud really perpetuated the oppression of women through his work, HB did a lot of actual good to promote the needs of trans folk. Continued… The HB joke is funnier if you’re telegraphing your trans status and playing off of anatomical expectations, but it feels mean to HB, whereas Freud really should be sucking dick. “Envy” indeed…
Brin, while I’m sure he appreciates your concern for him, have you read the standards of care written and carried out in our pal Harry’s name? I definitely recommend it if you can stomach it.
Here are some choice exerpts (TRIGGER WARNING for cissexism, gatekeeping, and other assorted bullshit)
Two Primary Populations with GID Exist—Biological Males and Biological Females. The sex of a patient always is a significant factor in the management of GID. Clinicians need to separately consider the biological, social, psychological, and economic dilemmas of each sex.For example, when first requesting professional assistance, the typical biological female seems to be further along in consolidating a male gender identity than does the typical biological male in his quest for a comfortable female gender identity. This often enables the sequences of therapy to proceed more rapidly for male-identified persons. All patients, however, must follow the SOC.
The Clinical Threshold. A clinical threshold is passed when concerns, uncertainties, and questions about gender identity persist in development, become so intense as to seem to be the most important aspect of a person’s life, or prevent the establishment of a relatively unconflicted gender identity. The person’s struggles are then variously informally referred to as a gender identity problem, gender dysphoria, a gender problem, a gender concern, gender distress, or transsexualism. Such struggles are known to be manifested from the preschool years to old age and have many alternate forms.
- in order to provide puberty delaying hormones to a person less than age 18, the following criteria must be met
- throughout childhood they have demonstrated an intense pattern of cross-gender identity and aversion to expected gender role behaviors
- gender discomfort has significantly increased with the onset of puberty
- social, intellectual, psychological, and interpersonal development are limited as a consequence of their GID
- serious psychopathology, except as a consequence of the GID, is absent
- the family consents and participates in the triadic therapy
I mean, I get that this was a cool first step and all, and that, thank goodness, more and more places are moving away from these requirements, but the joke that is so great about “Harry Benjamin can suck my dick” is that Harry would never, ever, allow someone like me to have a dick.